mick laBriola is a free lance Percussionist, Performer & Music Educator. He has also worked as a Music Specialist, Music Director, Cue Director, Producer, Educator, Dance-Theater accompanist, Music Collaborator, Technical Adviser, Logistics Coordinator & Stage Manager; an all around Renaissance Man in his field. As a Percussionist, mick laBriola has dedicated his life work to Cultural Music that has encompassed Dance, Theater, Ensembles, Workshops and Residencies.
Studying at The National Music Conservatory in Amman, Jordan; The Rhythm Riders Institute in Gujarat, India; with Jose Cortes in Puerto Santa Maria, Spain; as well as the American Conservatory of Music-Chicago, Olive-Harvey Junior College-Chicago, Metro State University-Denver, The University of Colorado-Boulder, the Denver Folklore Center, The Old Town School of Folk Music-Chicago, Bata Rhumba Studio-Chicago with Carlos Eguis-Augilla, and The West Bank School of Music-Minneapolis, and private lessons with Haba Boula-Uzbeckistan, Alexander Gregorov-Bulgaria, Shashmaqam-Bukhara, Gopal Mishra & Pandit Vijai Shankar-India.
mick has self-financed travel-study excursions to Jamaica, Trinidad, Morocco, Spain, and India; as well as touring-performing in Jordan, Palestine, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Poland, Puerto Rico and China.
mick is a free lance Performer, Music Specialist, Music Director, Cue Director, Producer, Educator, Dance-Theater accompanist, Music Collaborator, Technical Adviser, Logistics Coordinator, Stage Manager and all around Renaissance Man in his field.
As a Percussionist, mick laBriola has dedicated his life work to Cultural Music that has encompassed Dance, Theater, Ensembles, Workshops and Residencies.
His formal musical studies began at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. Global Studies include Arabic Music @ the National Conservatory of Music in Amman, Jordan (1994); Tabla @ The Rhythm Riders Institute in Ahmedabad, Gujarat-India (2007), and Flamenco Guitar with Jose Cortez Pansequito in Puerto Santa Maria, Andalucia Spain (2008).
Additional International instructors include Pandit Veja Shakar, Gopal Mishra, Alexander Georgiev, Haba Boula and Nasser Abido.
mick's most recent excursion was to Port of Spain, Trinidad during Panorama, a Steel Drum competition in 2010.
Mr. laBriola has created three assembly school programs which focus on music and education; these ensembles include:
- The MAROONS - a Caribbean trio with music of Trinidad and Jamaica. Including Reggae, Calyspo, Soca, Mento, Rock-Steady and Ska.
- KARIBUNI - African music quartet featuring musicians Siama Matuzungidi & Serge Akou from the Congo and the Ivory Coast.
- MAQAM - Music of the Arabic World. Featuring Mohammed Lulu from Palistine.
Additional Ensembles include:
- Ancestor Energy - Poetry and Jazz.
- Mojo Roots - Blues, R&B and Reggae trio.
- Beau Koo Jacks - New Orleans.
- Positive Vibrations - Roots Reggae.
- World Cafe International - Instrumental Trio. Arabic, Persian, Armenian, East/North European, North/South American, Central Africa.
- Voices of Sepharad - Ladino/Spanish/Arabic/Hebrew music of the Jewish Diaspora originating in medieval Spain.
Past Projects include:
- Songs of Hope (Children's International Singing Program) co-music director 19 years circa 1990-10
- Ensemble Espanol Spanish Dance Theater -dance accompanist 15 years circa 1992-08
- Cassandra & Jawaahir Dance Company -dance accompanist 10 years circa 1985-95
- Jamaican Dance Company -music director 4 years circa 1985-89
- Minnesota Dance Alliance -dance accompanist 7 years circa 1985-92
- Ethnic Dance Theater -dance accompanist 7 years circa 1985-92