mick laBriola is a free lance Percussionist, Performer & Music Educator. He has also worked as a Music Specialist, Music Director, Cue Director, Producer, Educator, Dance-Theater accompanist, Music Collaborator, Technical Adviser, Logistics Coordinator & Stage Manager; an all around Renaissance Man in his field. As a Percussionist, mick laBriola has dedicated his life work to Cultural Music that has encompassed Dance, Theater, Ensembles, Workshops and Residencies.
mick has self-financed travel-study excursions to Jamaica, Trinidad, Morocco, Spain, and India; as well as touring-performing in Jordan, Palestine, Sweden, Denmark, Spain, Poland, Puerto Rico and China.
His formal musical studies began at the American Conservatory of Music in Chicago. Global Studies include Arabic Music @ the National Conservatory of Music in Amman, Jordan (1994); Tabla @ The Rhythm Riders Institute in Ahmedabad, Gujarat-India (2007), and Flamenco Guitar with Jose Cortez Pansequito in Puerto Santa Maria, Andalucia Spain (2008). Additional studies include Olive-Harvey Junior College-Chicago, Metro State University-Denver, The University of Colorado-Boulder, the Denver Folklore Center, The Old Town School of Folk Music-Chicago, Bata Rhumba Studio-Chicago with Carlos Eguis-Augilla, and The West Bank School of Music-Minneapolis, and private lessons with Haba Boula-Uzbeckistan, Alexander Gregorov-Bulgaria, Shashmaqam-Bukhara, Gopal Mishra & Pandit Vijai Shankar-India.
mick's most recent excursion was to Port of Spain, Trinidad during Panorama, a Steel Drum competition in 2010.
Mr. laBriola has created three assembly school programs which focus on music and education; these ensembles include:
- The MAROONS - a Caribbean trio with music of Trinidad and Jamaica. Including Reggae, Calyspo, Soca, Mento, Rock-Steady and Ska.
- KARIBUNI - African music quartet featuring musicians Siama Matuzungidi & Serge Akou from the Congo and the Ivory Coast.
- MAQAM - Music of the Arabic World. Featuring Mohammed Lulu from Palistine.
Additional Ensembles include:
- Ancestor Energy - Poetry and Jazz.
- Mojo Roots - Blues, R&B and Reggae trio.
- Beau Koo Jacks - New Orleans.
- Positive Vibrations - Roots Reggae, Rock Steady, Ska, Nyabinghi
- World Cafe International - Instrumental Trio. Arabic, Persian, Armenian, East/North European, North/South American, Central Africa.
- Voices of Sepharad - Ladino/Spanish/Arabic/Hebrew music of the Jewish Diaspora originating in medieval Spain.
Past Projects/Highlights include:
- Equity Actor performing at the Drury Lane Theater in Chicago during High School.
- Stained Glass Artist 1980-88
- Cats Under the Stars Iron Rangers on the loose 1980-83
- Macumba-reggae, calypso with Lloyd Cordner 1981-84
- In the Heart of the Beast Puppet & Mask Theater "Circle of Water Circus" Sweden & Denmark tour performing at the Scensomar Theater Festival 1985. Cue Director for the annual Mayday Ceremony, Parade and Festival since 1990
- CedarFest on the West Bank of Minneapolis (local Greenwich Village). International Stage-stage manager and West Bank School of Music-stage manager 1986-89.
- Songs of Hope (Children's International Singing Program) co-music director 19 years circa 1990-2010.
- Ensemble Espanol Spanish Dance Theater -dance Flamenco accompanist 15 years circa 1992-12 Including tours to China, Poland and Puerto Rico featuring Paco Fonta & Pansequito
- Cassandra & Jawaahir Dance Company -dance accompanist 10 years circa 1985-95
- Jamaican Dance Company with Paulette Cousins-music director 4 years circa 1985-89
- Minnesota Dance Alliance -dance accompanist 7 years circa 1985-91
- Ethnic Dance Theater -dance accompanist 7 years circa 1985-92.
- ANCESTOR ENERGY-Percussionist Poetry/Jazz/World Music ensemble. Produced CD ALLWHERE for AE in 2006. Member since 1986-present.
- Minnesota Renaissance Festival-percussionist, co manager for Mid East Weekend & Gypsy Camp (2 yrs) 1982-95
- Voices of Sepharad tour of Spain & Poland 1990. Founding member since 1986-present
- Crossing Borders tour of Jordan 1993 & Palestine 1994. Founding member 1985-1994
- The Mighty Ducks 2 movie-Steel Pan showcase with Norbert Augustine filmed at Parade Ice Arena in Minneapolis 1993
- Minnesota State Fair-Mojo Roots 1996-2011 @ Cafe Caribe
- Chippewa Valley Renaissance Festival & Village of Terror-house percussionist 2010/11
- Oregon Renaissance Festival-music director 2013/14